General / All-Purpose Cover Letter Sample
When you apply for a job, many times you will be required to submit a cover letter with your resume. Your cover letter should highlight points on your resume that make you a superior candidate for the position you are seeking. It should not simply review your resume, but rather point out details and expand on specific key assets which are essential for success in the job.
Information to Include in the Letter
Think of your cover letter not just as an introduction or a statement of intent to apply for a job, but as a golden opportunity to market yourself, your skills, your qualifications, and your training to an employer.
As a powerful marketing document, its primary purpose is to persuade a hiring manager to give a closer review to your resume than the typical six-second scan.
Sometimes a job posting lists the name of the hiring manager, and in that case, you should address your letter to him or her.
In cases where a name isn’t listed, you should make an effort to find out the right person to whom to address your letter. It’s always better to address your application materials to the appropriate hiring manager. If you can’t find their name by reviewing their corporate website or calling their front office, you may use the address of the company and an alternative salutation, such as “Dear Hiring Manager." Here are tips for how to address a cover letter.
The body of your letter should contain pertinent information about how you were referred to the opportunity, your interest in the position, your qualifications for the job, relevant training, and why you would make an excellent candidate.
In closing, you can include your plans for following up with the hiring manager: “I will call next week to follow up on the status of my application.” You should also thank them politely for their time. Use a business-like closing, such as “Sincerely,” “Best Regards,” or “Yours Truly,” followed by your name and signature (on a hard copy).
General / All-Purpose Cover Letter Sample
Your Address (Optional)
Your City, State, Zip Code
Your Phone Number
City, State, Zip Code
Dear Mr./Ms. Last Name:
I am writing in reply to the classified ad you posted seeking to fill the position of Graduate Student Advisor for the Master of Arts in Liberal Studies degree program at ABC College.
Having earned my Master of Arts degree in Academic Advising from XYZ University, I understand the importance for informed academic counseling and program planning in a higher education environment.
I have also experienced, first-hand, the comforting effect of being able to contact an adviser who genuinely cares for the professional growth and success of students.
Prior to my graduate studies, during my career as an electrician, I was elected Chairman of the Executive Board which sat as the union’s representatives to the apprenticeship advisory board. In this capacity, I was able to be an effective advisor to apprentices who were experiencing scholastic problems which threatened their future in the industry. I particularly enjoyed working with older apprentices who were seeking a career change and had problems adjusting to the obligations of work, school, and family life.
I believe that both my educational background in Academic Advising and my work-related duties of counseling and advising students enrolled in learning programs qualifies me for consideration for the position of Graduate Student Advisor. I look forward to discussing how my skills can be of value to ABC College as it prepares to move into the new millennium. Thank you for your time, consideration, and forthcoming response.
Your Signature (hard copy letter)
Your Typed Name
More Sample Cover Letters
Follow this link to review cover letter samples for a variety of career fields and employment levels, including an internship cover letter sample, as well as entry-level, targeted. and email cover letters.
Cover Letter Articles and Advice: Top 10 Cover Letter Writing Tips | What to Include in a Cover Letter | Email Cover Letters | Targeted Cover Letters
On the search for job application letter templates for engineers ? You’re on the right page. The field of engineering is made up of several diversified fields such as mechanical engineering, civil engineering, computer engineering, and many more. As an engineer, your application letter must showcase your designing skills and level of professionalism.
To hasten your search for application letter templates for engineers, you can simply browse through our array of templates. We assure you that our templates are original and well-researched. They will help you create or enhance your application letter. Hence, save your precious time and start downloading our templates. For further examples, you can also check out our Job Application Letter Examples.
Job Application Letter for Electrical Engineer
Job Application Letter for Mechanical Engineer
Job Application Letter for Project Engineer
Job Application Letter for Civil Engineer
Job Application Letter for Engineer Example
A Variety of Job Application Letters for Engineers
An application letter provides your potential employer with an introduction of your resume. It enhances the overall presentability of your resume. In line with this, application letter formats vary according to the type of industry. In order for it to be effective, it must be customized in a way that it suffice the interest of a certain profession such as the engineering profession.
As what you can see from our templates, we offer a variety of engineering application letters that correspond to a certain branch of engineering. Let’s examine some of them:
- Mechanical engineer application letter. This particular branch of engineering deals with design, construction, and dynamics of machines. In our template, you can see that the educational background and work experience sections are written in a concise and brief manner. Only relevant and pertinent points are included
- Civil engineer application letter. It is considered as one of the oldest disciplines in the field of engineering. It covers a variety of works such as planning, construction, and maintenance of buildings, roads, airports, and other facilities. In your letter, you must specify the area of work that you have the most experience. If you’re a fresh graduate, you can highlight your interest and passion for such field. You can also check out our Job Application Letters For Fresher if you’re an engineer who’s also a fresh graduate.
These are just some of our featured templates that will inspire and help you to ace your application letter. Feel free to download them.
Internship Job Application Letter for Engineer
Job Application Letter for Software Engineer
Job Application Letter for Assistant Engineer
Job Application Letter for Trainee Engineer
Basic Guidelines to Consider in Writing Application Letters
You must bear in mind that your application letter is the starting point and foundation for you to land a job interview and ultimately gain a job offer. In sum, it usually consists of the date of the application, the name and address of the addresses, subject, content, and your name and signature in the end.
Here are some guidelines that you can consider when you’re drafting your application letter:
- Ensure that all the essential parts of an application letter are present. An application letter is typically consists of an introduction, body, and closing. You can write here why you are inspired and passionate to be part of a certain company or industry.
- Check and provide a correct address. It is your responsibility to ensure that the date and address that you will put in the application letter are accurate as these items can be recorded in the database of the entity where you will send the letter. Make it a point to spell out the complete date. Do not abbreviate.
- Provide the name and address of the recipient. In doing this, you have to skip two lines and then you can start writing the name and address of the addressee.
- Provide a professional salutation. In here, you need to skip a line and then greet the recipient with “Dear . . .” or other similar page.
- Ace the content. Remember to keep it short and professional. Provide information that are relevant and updated.
- Provide a humble ending note. The ending note is important because it enables you to keep in touch with the employer. Examples of such are “Sincerely yours, “Kind regards” and many more.These are just some points for you to consider. Additionally, you can also check out our Job Application Letter Examples to guide you even further.