Although created by the Ohio American Legion, the Americanism and Government Test program is a joint venture and partnership with the Ohio American Legion Auxiliary, which is a cosponsor of the program.
The Americanism and Government Test program is open to students in grades 10, 11, and 12. Students in grade 9 may take the test for practice only.
The Americanism and Government Test is a fifty (50) question test comprised of True/False, multiple choice, and fill-in the blank.
A three hundred (300) word essay is also part of the Americanism and Government Test and every student taking the test writes on the same essay topic.
The essay is utilized in the various judging levels of this program as a Tie-breaker.
The essay topic is selected/written each year by members of the Department Americanism Committee and Department Americanism Director.
A feature of the Americanism and Government Test is that the students themselves do not advance in the competition, the student’s test paper does.
The Americanism and Government test is NOT designed to have one student compete against another. It is designed to test an individual student’s knowledge of the following:
The United States Flag The Declaration of Independence The United States Constitution State government in Ohio County government in Ohio
City government in Ohio Township government in Ohio Village government in Ohio School District government in Ohio
The 50 questions of the Americanism and Government Test are written in such a manner to be current and topical to events, studies, and information being presented in Ohio high schools and events happening in the state of Ohio and the nation.
On average, over 65,000 students participate in the Test program annually.
Through a number of judging levels in the state of Ohio to select Post, County, and District winners, the initial field of 65,000 students is narrowed to 84 district winners, whose winning test papers are submitted to a State Judging Committee for this program.
From the field of 84 District winners, the State Judging Committee selects 18 winners in the following categories:
- Grade 12 (Seniors): Six (6) State winners/three (3) men and three (3) women
- Grade 11 (Juniors): Six (6) State winners/three (3) men and three (3) women
- Grade 10 (Sophomores): Six (6) State winners/three (3) men and three (3) women
The State Award from the Ohio American Legion for the 18 State winners is a five (5) day, all expenses paid trip to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania and Washington D.C. under the direction of the Department Americanism Director, accompanied by representatives of the Ohio American Legion and Ohio American Legion Auxiliary.
A highlight of the trip is a Wreath Laying at the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington National Cemetery.
The Ohio American Legion and Ohio American Legion Auxiliary have had the honor of laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns every year since 1936.
An objective of the Ohio American Legion through the Americanism and Government test program is that if by taking the test a young person is inspired to learn more about government, the United States, and to appreciate the freedoms enjoyed by the nation’s citizens, the effort put forth by the Ohio American Legion and the Ohio American Legion Auxiliary is worth the expense.
The Americanism and Government Test program is unique to the national America Legion organization as only two other states, Indiana and Wisconsin, have versions of the program, which both adopted/adapted from the Ohio American Legion, but neither program is the size or scope of the Ohio program.
If you are interested...
You may see Ms. Powell in the counseling office for any scholarship that is not expired. Thank you.
Three rivers Desk and derrick club Scholarship
- Student must be accepted and scheduled at a full time college.
- 500 word essay on "Explain how your chosen field of study, trade, or vocation, will prepare you a career in the petroleum, energy, and / or allied industries."
- 3 $500 dollar scholarships
EMPIRE BEAUTY SCHOOLS SENIOR SCHOLARSHIP
- Scholarship is $1,000.
- available for seniors graduating in 2018
- Deadline is August 1, 2018
- for printable application, click here.
Greenville symphony orchestra scholarship
- 1,000 dollars, 1 award
- Deadline: March 23, 2018
Bricklayers & stonemasons joint apprenticeship
- 18 years of age
- High school graduate or Equivalent
- Physically capable of performing work of the trade
- Be able to pass a pre-employment drug screen & physical
- Deadline: April 6, 2018
- For more info, see Ms. Powell
Lawrence county board of realtors scholarship
- 500 or more word typed essay
- essay topic "How can we (as a community) help Lawrence County to prosper and grow?"
- transcript needed
- also need a copy of a letter of acceptance from an institute of higher learning
- Deadline is March 15, 2018
- For more info, please see Ms. Powell
NORTHWESTERN PENNSYLVANIA AREA LABOR FEDERATION SCHOLARSHIP
- 3 Scholarships
- $500 dollars for each scholarship
- Deadline is April 23rd, 2018
IMAGINE AMERICA FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIPS
- Many different scholarships are on this website.
- Click here for a link to the website.
-For students and families
POINTE PEST CONTROL SCHOLARSHIP
SCHOLARSHIPS FOR YOUR STUDENTS
-Imagine America Foundation
NSSAR GEORGE S. AND STELLA M. KNIGHT ESSAY
- $5,000 award
- Deadline is December 31, 2017
2018 Epilepsy Foundation Western/Central PA Scholarship
- There will be eleven $1,000 scholarships.
- Applicant must be diagnosed with epilepsy disorder.
- Also must participate in one of the EFWCP's run walks.
PA ASSOCIATION OF EDUCATIONAL OFFICE PROFESSIONALS
- $500 reward
- Seniors who are interested in a business related field.
- For more information, please contact Ms. Powell.
ROBERT TRACE ESSAY CONTEST
- 15-18 years of age who is child or grandchild of PA Legionnaire.
- $500 reward
- 300-500 word essay
ROBERT W VALIMONT ENDOWMENT
- Student who is a child or grandchild of a Pennsylvania Legionnarie
- This student needs to be seeking a two year education or less than a 4 year.
JOSEPH P GAVENONIS SCHOLARSHIP
- Student who is a senior and is a child or grandchild of a legionnaire.
- Also should be seeking a 4 year degree in a college in PA
SEBASTIANELLI DRUM CORPS SCHOLARSHIP
- A senior who is a child or grandchild of a Pennsylvania legionnaire or deceased
- Also must be a part of band and is planning on majoring in music.
PA AMERICAN LEGION ORATORICAL CONTEST
- 1st place is $7,500.
- Two parts, memorized oration and a ex-temporary oration on an assigned topic.
PA AMERICAN LEGION ESSAY CONTEST
- 1st place is $3,500
- Between 500 - 1000 words
PA LEGION SCHOLARSHIPS
-Eleven $1000 dollar scholarship for students who have epilepsy/ seizure disorder and are going on to post secondary school
Washington and Jefferson College Good Neighbor Award
carson scholars fund
-4th - 11th grade
-Have at least a 3.75 GPA
-Display humanitarianism through community service
-See Ms.Powell for info (Must be READY to present at that time)
2018 GE-reagan foundation Scholarship
-$40,000 in college scholarships for student leaders.
-Learn more by clicking here.
-For more info, click here to read the Pirates Pitch document
Technical school scholarship information
-Scholarships for Trade Schools in Pennsylvania
-Click here, or ask for more info in Ms.Powell's Office.
roofers joint apprenticeship program
- Click here for extra info
PHNCF Healthcare Scholarships
-Deadline is February 15, 2018
-12 Scholarships available totaling $30,000
-Click here to see more information.
Imagine America Foundation Scholarships Website
-130,000 student scholarships
-Click this link if you are interested in finding your desired scholarship
KENNETH CHRISTENSEN AND RUSSELL HYMAS
-Winners receive up to $1,000
-Deadline is August 1,2018
-Click here for more information
RALPH B. CANTERBURY SCHOLARSHIP
-10 scholarships, $1500 each
-March 31, 2018
Mechanical Contractors Scholarship
-Must be enrolling in plumbing, HVAC, Mechanical engineering or another construction related field
-Deadline May 1, 2018
Three Rivers Scholarship
-Must be enrolling in a program for any energy discipline or industry related training and skills
-Deadline May 1, 2018